The Kansas City Keys, founded in 1976, believe the way to create responsible citizens is through the education of our youth. The Kansas City Keys take a holistic approach to the development of our youth through an intertwined combination of activities for the body (athletics), mind (education) and spirit (creating extended families and encouraging young people to seek out God).
The Kansas City Keys Community Council is a youth development organization, qualified under Section 501(c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Keys have served economically challenged youth (primarily students from single parent homes), in the urban core of Kansas City, Missouri since the mid-1970’s.
We offer constructive, extra-curricular activities to urban core youths as a vehicle to reach these children and teach them personal responsibility and life-skills. In a sports environment, children learn the value of rules, teamwork and ethics. We emphasize academics in sports, and in order to participate in our athletics, children must participate in grade card monitoring. Tutoring referrals is available to children who need it.
Programs included in the curriculum are:
- Education before sports – Tutoring, grade monitoring, counseling, computer training, seminars
- Sports – Basketball, Football, Track and Field
- Clinics – Checkups, physicals, drug prevention and awareness, health awareness, nutrition workshop
To provide drug awareness and prevent children from ever experimenting with drugs,assist over 500 youth who are participating in an existing youth development sports program improve academic achievement.
To conduct non-traditional, life skill activities that will reduce the likelihood of a negative lifestyle and increase positive aspects of the lives of over 500 youth while encouraging prevention of participating in drugs and drug activities.
As of October 4, 2017 LaToya became the first female president of the Kansas City Keys. LaToya has been a KEYS Board member since 2016 and was also a KEYS Alumni, playing for the first KEYS Girls Basketball Team.
- Lincoln College Prepatory Academy 2007
- Jefferson College 2007 - 2009
- University of Louisville 2009 - 2011
- Libscom University, Masters of Education 2013
- JUCO Basketball All American 2009
- Big East Academic All American 2010
- Gladstone Elementary - Current
- K-1 and 5-6th grade girls Basketball Coach
KC KEYS Alumni
- Indian Creek Elementary School
KC KEYS Alumni
- University of Missouri, Bachelors of Science in Business Administration and Bachelors of Arts in Psychology 2012
- Baker University, Masters in Business Administration 2016
- Cerner Corporation 2012 - Current
Harrel Johnson, Jr
- University of Missouri Kansas City, Bachelors of Science in Accounting 1984
- Retired Revenue Agent Reviewer for Tax Exempt Organization’s Division for the Internal Revenue Service
Ronald has been the treasurer of the Kansas City Keys Community Council, Inc. since 2002. He is an IT professional with proven abilities in application administration, team management, systems design, development, implementation, and documentation of enterprise wide applications that support internal organization processes.
- Rockhurst College, Kansas City, MO, Bachelor of Science 1991
- Long Island University, Brookville, NY, Master of Science 1993
- 1991 – 1993 Programmer, Long Island University
- 1993 – 1996 Senior Systems Analyst, Dun & Bradstreet Corporation
- 1996 – 2010 Senior Systems Analyst/Manager, DST Systems, Inc.